MKT62504 | Brand Guideline / Brand Book

Back to Top Button

19/05/2026 - 23/06/2026 (Week 5 - Week 10)


LIST OF CONTENT :

MIB



INSTRUCTIONS

  

PROCESS

After Week 4, I amended some of my proposal based on the feedback from the panel and Mr Max. I had locked down "Between States" as my main campaign title. Between States is an experiential digital campaign that helps them recognise and name their emotional state by stimulating the oscillation of grief rather than explaining it.

Most grief campaign explain the cycle. Between States puts you inside it. Rather than communicating about grief, the campaign simulates what grief actually feels like – oscillating, unresolved and arriving when you least expect it.

I started the first of the branding process by sketching some logo ideas. As the overall visual direction is more minimalistic and simple, I try to show that through the logo by following a similar style. 

As I was short on time and wasn't able to consult with Mr Max on the logo direction, I had asked among my peers and friends on which they felt was more suited for the campaign. I ended up digitise that logo and trying out with different fonts and colours. I went for a stacked logo style. Here are some of the versions I did:








I also toyed with the idea of a logomark, but after trying out some ideas, I decided againts it as I felt it was a little too much for the overall vibe.

I decided on this for my primary and secondary logo, which is used across the entire campaign design process.


The Between States logo is a wordmark-led identity that uses a customised oscillating form within the letter structure. This wave-like movement symbolises the cyclical and unstable nature of grief, reflecting how a person may move between emotional states such as anxiety, numbness, restlessness and continued functioning.

The surrounding letterforms remain clean and restrained, representing the outward appearance of stability. This contrast reflects the campaign’s core idea: a person may seem functional on the outside while experiencing internal emotional movement. The logo therefore visualises the tension between external control and internal instability.

This connects to the campaign because Between States focuses on grief that does not always appear as visible sadness. The campaign aims to help young adults recognise and name grief that may feel unclear, delayed or misidentified. The oscillating form reinforces the tagline “Nothing Stays Still” by showing that grief is not a straight path, but a shifting experience that moves between states.

After finalising my logo and colour palette, I compiled all the information into a brand guideline book. 


REFLECTION

Through this task, I learned how important it is for a brand identity to be built from the campaign idea rather than only from visual preference. After receiving feedback, I refined my campaign direction and focused more clearly on Between States as an experiential digital campaign about grief that does not always appear as visible sadness. This helped me understand that the brand guideline should not only show the final visuals, but also explain why each design decision supports the campaign message.

The logo development process was one of the most important parts of this task. I started by sketching different logo ideas and testing how a minimal visual direction could still communicate emotional movement. Since the campaign focuses on grief as something cyclical and unstable, I wanted the logo to reflect that without making it look too dramatic. The customised oscillating form in the wordmark became the main symbolic element, as it represents movement between emotional states while the rest of the letterforms remain controlled and restrained. I also explored the idea of using a separate logomark, but decided against it because it felt unnecessary and did not suit the calm, minimal identity I was trying to create.

Creating the brand guideline helped me see how consistency makes a campaign feel more complete and professional. I had to think about how the logo, colour palette, typography, visual elements, photography direction and applications work together as one system. The muted colours, clean typography and subtle visual language helped reinforce the tone of the campaign, which is calm, observational and emotionally honest. This task also made me realise that brand guidelines are not just about presenting assets, but about setting rules so the identity can be applied clearly across different touchpoints.

Overall, this task helped me strengthen the visual identity of Between States and connect it more directly to the campaign’s purpose. I learned that even a simple identity can feel meaningful when the concept behind it is clear. Moving forward, I would like to improve the application side further by developing more campaign touchpoints, especially the interactive website experience, so the audience can engage more deeply with the idea of grief as something shifting, unresolved and constantly moving.